transposed sections

From: David Bobroff
Subject: transposed sections
Date: 02 Jul 2003 22:47:58 +0000

I'm trying to work out a good method for transposing sections.  I have
an orchestral part for bass trumpet which has different transpositions
for different sections of the piece.  What I've done is to do the part
sequentially.  That is, it starts in D so I define that block as
'dOne'.  When I get to  a section with cue notes I start a new block
called 'qOne' etc.  What I would prefer is to define all of the D
sections in one block, all the cue sections in another block and all the
Es sections in yet another and then combine them with '\partcombine'.
The idea is that leaving them untransposed leaves me with the original
notation (making it easier to check for errors) and the ability to set
each section for whatever key of instrument is being used and leaving
all the cue notes untransposed.  I tried this approach but when I added
'\transpose c f' in front of \bstpt (in the following score block} I got
an error about unexpected SCM or something.  My Lilypond is currently
broken (waiting for a guile update) so I can't try it and get the exact
message.  This score block worked fine without '\transpose'.  Putting
'\transpose c f' in front of a defined block of notes worked in the
example where I did it sequentially rather than using '\partcombine'.

\score {
\context Score
    <
        \global
        \property Score.skipBars = ##t
        \context Staff<
         \property Staff.soloADue = ##f
            \context Voice=one \partcombine Voice
            \context Thread=one \bstpt
            \context Thread=two \queue

    \paper {
        indent = .5\cm

In this example I have defined the blocks of notes like this:

bstpt =  \notes \relative c''{ some notes }

queue = \notes \relative c { some other notes }

-David Bobroff