Re: Joining text?!

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Joining text?!
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 15:27:46 -0400

On Friday 01 August 2003 04:33 am, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Hans Forbrich wrote:
> > [Lilypond 1.7.27 / SuSE 8.2]
> >
> > I have some vocals, mainly in Italian, where two words (or the last
> > syllable of a word and the first syllable of the next word) are
> > handled on the same note.  In the source, these are joined using
> > what looks like a 'tie' in the lyrics.
> >
> > A few questions
> >
> > 1) Can this lyrics tie be handled in Lilypond?
>
> If you want Lilypond to handle two syllables like a single one, just
> include them in quotes: "Two words". Then, you have to find some
> symbol that looks like the tie. How about "Two$\frown$words" ?
>
> > 2) What is this effect and/or tie called? (so I can try to look it
> > up in the documentation)
> > 3) Has this been discussed in the list?  (Roughly when? so I can
> > try to look it up in the archives)
> > 4) How do others simulate this?

I have the impression that this is much more common in Italian
and Spanish lyrics than in German or English, so I found that
"Caro Mio Ben" on the Mutopia site has several examples.  That
might be good to include as an example with lilypond.  DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.  Bush lied.
Thousands died.  Only the winning part is over.  It is necessary that
WMD be found, so they will be.      darnold4 at cox.net