Re: PDF can't be made

From: Warren Stickney
Subject: Re: PDF can't be made
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:28:08 +1200

Thanks for the replies Jan and Mats, very much appreciated.

Have got Lily running now by:

Installing 1.8.0 on "Curr" from "cygwin-get-software," then updating with
"Exp" option from the same site.

With the overwrite bash.exe to sh.exe, ly2dvi works OK, but I'm getting "I
can't find lilyponddefs.tex" when running Latex as part of lilypond-book.
My lilyponddefs.tex is in
...\user\share\lilypond\1.8.0\tex

Has anyone any advice here.

My earlier attempt of installing 1.8.0 was with the "Exp" option at site
"cygwin-mirrors-pair" and this didn't run.  Checking this with the
successful "cygwin-get-software" download showed the following packages
missing

base-files
bzip2
libbz2_1
libreadline4
terminfo

I also note that the "Exp" files at "cygwin-get-software" are often of later
release.

I can appreciate that getting all the packages correctly referenced, and
trying to get all mirror sites in step must be a nightmare.  From my point
of view I have learned a valuable amount about the packages needed (I think
I now have a reasonably definitive listing with version numbers), and also
the cygwin installing process. And of course I am embarrassed I didn't
remember your message on bash/sh without having to be prompted by Frederick
Bron.

Thanks Mats for the advice on Unix (BASH).  I must try and learn BASH, I'd
love to be able to set up a script file to update my 90 odd lily files for
the new version number, and to change those dummy " \transpose c' " 's to "
\transpose c' c' "  I used to do this sort of thing with DOS batch files in
days gone by.

Warren Stickney
Wellington,
New Zealand

Replying to your:

**********************

I hope you saw Jan's answer,
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-08/msg00390.html

If you are not that familiar to UNIX, you could for example do:

- Start the Cygwin command window
- Run the command: "cp /bin/bash /bin/sh"
- Close the command window with "exit"
Now, LilyPond should work the next time you start a new Cygwin window.

   /Mats

***********************

Warren Stickney writes:

> I'm getting the same
>
> "Running Latex...cannot create/dev/stderr: directory"
>
> error from my downloaded Lily 1.8.0 (cygwin).

Could you try and reinstall, 1.8.1 has been uploaded and should fix
this.

> Comparing my files with those you mention 26 Aug, Mats,
> (albeit that those files were for Heinz Wallisch's 1.6.11 installation)
> the following are missing on mine:

> But possibly Heinz actually received more files than was absolutely
> necessary, or else 1.8.0 needs less?

Cygwin is in a state of transition.  The TEST/Exp release, of which
lilypond-1.8.x is part, should have gone live last weekend, but it
has been delayed.

It seems that the most stable way of installing a package from TEST is
to run setup, install the version in CURR; rerun setup, choose
TEST/Exp, and install the version in TEST.

That way you may get too many packages, but choosing directly from
TEST you may get too few.

Jan