Re: Automatic reformatting \notes section utility?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Automatic reformatting \notes section utility?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:35:58 -0500

On Thursday 15 January 2004 14:49, Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:
> Hello, Mats:
> > Amazing how often one and the same question pops up several times
> > during the same week. Did you see the following mail (with
> > followups)?
> > http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-01/msg00338.htm
>
> Actually, if you read closely, I believe Nick is asking something
> slightly different from what was discussed in the post(s) you're
> referencing...
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, Nick, but you were asking if the SOURCE
> (.ly) file can be [re-]arranged by a specified number of measures (of
> "source code") per line, not that the OUTPUT (.ps/.pdf) file has line
> breaks appropriately -- basically, a "pretty-printer", but
> measure-aware (!!).
>
> I have been considering a solution and will build a prototype in
> AppleScript to test my algorithm; if it's clean, I'll try to port it
> to a *nix shell script.

I did something similar in sly-tidy, in sly.txt on my website.  I
was interested in vertical alignment of field separators instead
of bars, but you should probably do alignment as well as get a certain
number of bars per line.

The thing would probably be easier in Python, and trust me, it
would be worth the stretch.  daveA

--
Failure is certain when you fail to identify your enemy and invade the
wrong country.  Our troops defend the enemy and weaken our country by