time signature or no time signature

From: chip
Subject: time signature or no time signature
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:34:19 -0800

I am working on a song in which the first bit is all free time. I would like to enter the beginning of the song with no time signature - just an empty measure and the words Free Time below it. I've got the empty measure and the text done (though the text is longer than the measure), how do I get rid of the time signature? I will put it in the next measure, where the song really gets under way.
Thanks,
Chip