Re: ottava & polyphony

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: ottava & polyphony
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 13:33:31 -0500

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 20:12, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am attempting to mix ottava brackets and polyphony.
> > I have to following fragment:
> >
> >             << { \skip 2. #(set-octavation 1) \acciaccatura cis' cis''4
> > \acciaccatura fis fis'2 #(set-octavation 0) } \\ { < fis, cis, >2.~
> > < fis, cis, >2. } >>
> >
> > I am finding that the lower (second) voice is being subjected to
> > the ottava as well as the upper voice.  I only want the upper voice
> > to be affected.  I have found no reference to this in the
> > documentation (PDF for version 2.0.2).
>
> I was not aware that different voices may have different
> octavations. Is this common notation?

Yes, on one staff.  On one staff though, I don't think that it is
ever used for writing bass notes to be played lower than written.

I couldn't find this noted for free download, but it is crystal
clear to hear two sections of octave harmonics in the top part
only, and I assure you that this old arrangement was written on
a single staff with 8va_ _ _ over the top voice in those parts.

http://www.cyf-kr.edu.pl/~nbbienia/testam.mid

daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing