Installing and starting

From: Maria Flaate
Subject: Installing and starting
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 00:09:45 +0200

Hello,

I decided I'd download LilyPond after continuous gushing about it from some of my friends. I'm not quite a whiz with computers, but I thought I'd give it a go. I've got Windows 98 on this machine. I think I've managed to download the programme, but when it came to downloading the test as explained in step 2, I fell out of it. I've saved the test.ly file on my desktop, double-clicked, but it just comes up as an html page on the internet. I'm fairly sure we've got a PDF viewer installed. It could be that I didn't manage to install it, it took about an hour, I don't know how long it's supposed to take.

Also, when I go to the Start menu and so on, there isn't any sign of LilyPond anywhere. I don't know if it's supposed to be there along with the things that you click on to get to Word etc. (not the icons on the desktop, but inside the menu--did I mention I'm not very good at computers?), but it'd certainly help, because I don't know how I'm supposed to get access to the programme otherwise.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer. I'm looking forward to using LilyPond!

Sincerely,
Maria Flaate