Re: Fingering position

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Fingering position
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:34:37 -0400

On Thursday 26 August 2004 12:58 am, Walter Hofmeister wrote:
> Lilypond 2.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.3.4
>
> I am preparing some guitar instructional material and would like to
> specify both left hand(numbers) and right hand(letters) fingerings. I
> would like to have the left hand finger numbers close to the note
> heads and to the left and the right hand finger letters above the
> note head. So far I have used the syntax: c4-1^\markup { \italic { m
> } } for each note. This works except that no matter what I do it
> always positions everything above the note head. I have tried the
> example for setting this from the user manual: \set
> fingeringOrientations = #'(left) (in the manual the example was
> #'(right)), and I have tried the tweak: \override Voice.Fingering
> #'self-alignment-X = #-1 as well. Both seem to do nothing. Any ideas.

You need to finger the note as the contents of a one-note chord.  If you
put <> around the note and fingering it will work, I hope.  if not, then
have the number within the brackets, since it does not go to the default
position, and the letter outside.  If that doesn't work, try making the
note a chord with a unison that overwrites itself and finger each of the
notes.  That last should not work, but might.  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,