Re: Large time signatures

From: Libero Mureddu
Subject: Re: Large time signatures
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:57:42 +0300

Hi!
I just want to say that there's a reason to put large time signature, : in my opinion this is quite useful from the conductor point of view: in a ensemble or orchestral score, maybe written using lots of contemporary music resources (I mean, full of indications, special or custom notation) but with a rich, complex, continuosly changing, and precise metrical structure, the conductor need to see immediatly at least the time signatures; i.e. lots of Boulez scores have an "invisible staff" for the conductor (without staff lines), with large time signatures and the subdivision of the metre using the - so called in Lilypond - Measure Grouping signs. In any case, as you said, is a praxis quite common, now: many of Ligeti, Stockhausen, Ferneyough, Grisey, Berio, Lutoslawski scores use that way.

Libero Mureddu