Questions on ancient music

From: Nancho Alvarez
Subject: Questions on ancient music
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:23:15 +0100

Hello!
I have edited the motet "o vos omnes" by the spanish composer Tomas Luis de Victoria from XVI century:
http://www.uma.es/grupovocal/ovos.ly
http://www.uma.es/grupovocal/ovos.pdf
you can see the original source in http://tomasluisdevictoria.org/originales.html

I used Pedro's lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1
I would like to make some questions and comments:

1- In the lilypond manual I have seen a template of ancient music, and among other nice features it includes a way to make an "incipit" to put the original clefs. In my edition I used a different approach using two
    lovely features of lilypond:
-use a complete score containing only the incipit as the value of Staff.instrument -multiply each note in the incipit for a convenient fraction to make all the same length. It looks quite good, but maybe the lilypond hackers out there can improve it to make it look better.

2- Other lovely feature of lilypond is the ancient ligatures, marked with \[ and \] In the output it looks very good, but at compile time there is a warning for each ligature: "warning: Programming error: Ligature_engraver::stop_translation_timestep (): junking empty ligature"
    Am I doing something wrong?

3- With the new versions of lilypond the lyrics are applied to the text nicely, now the extensors and hyphens for melismas work great (by the way, in the manual it is still described the old behaviour of long hypens). But I found very unconfortable to write \melisma and \melismaEnd to mark the melismas. I know that can use ( and ), and them make the curves invisible, but I do not know if it is the best solution. I would like to ask to the developers if in the future (far o near) will be support to mark the melismas in the lyrics section, I mean, to put something like {ag -- _ _ _ _ _ nus De -- _ _ _ _ i } to achieve the same effect than the \melisma \melismaEnd mechanism. This point is very important for me.

4- In the ancient music not every accidental was notated, the so called musica ficta was supposed to be sung by the performer without being written. In modern notation, the common way to notate it is a small accidental on top of the note. Currently, I use cautionary accidentals, see for example bar 22 of the bassus. It would be very good, to have an option to notate cautionary as a small accidental on top of the note (and other option to put it on top and between parenthesis, for editorial accidentals). Currently it can be done with \markup but it does not translate to the MIDI output, nor it can be transposed.
5-  Bug or feature?
In bar 62 of the cantus, there are two G sharp (it is the same music than in bar 27), it happens because there is a change of line. Is that normal? I would prefer only one sharp sign to be printed.

6- Other usual notation in ancient music is a square bracket (similar to the ligature) but with a dashed line, indicating that the original source has black notes. You can see an example in the original source of the bassus part, corresponding to bar 22. I do not know exactly the meaning of black notation, but good editions always mark it. As far as I know, it is not possible to do it with lily, will this feature be included in the future?

Please forgive me for this long post.
Thanks to the developers of lilypond for such a wonderful program!

                  NANCHO

P.D. If somebody sings in a choir, try this motet, it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.