Just started with 2.4

From: Richard Schoeller
Subject: Just started with 2.4
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:31:36 -0500

I just converted to 2.4 from 2.2 and am trying to figure out how to
recover some of the functionality.

1. In title, etc. in the header block you used to be able to force a
   newline with \\\\ .  Now you try to use the markup specifiers but
   they don't work quite as expected.  If you use \align-center you
   get a two lines whose centers line up but which are not centered
   on the page.  If you use \column you get a block that is centered
   the page whose width is that of the longest line and where the
   lines are left justified.  How do I get what I used to get?

2. The head tag is no longer supported.  When dealing with multipage
   music, the head tag keeps me from getting messed up when I drop
   the pile of paper on the floor  8^).

3. I used to use \\newpage as the value for piece.  This would force
   there to be a title page and have the music start on the next
   page.  Most of the music I am working on fits nicely into 2 sides
   of letter size paper.  If you have the title information there
   too then it forces the last line or 2 onto an additional page.  I
   really hate turning pages  8^).

It seems to me that the centering problems are a bug. I expect that the
newpage problem is an unintended side-effect of the change to using
\markup.  I would fix by allowing aftertitlespace to push the music to
the next page.  I don't know what the reasoning was around dropping head
and foot.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Dick Schoeller
address@hidden