Re: Just started with 2.4

From: Richard Schoeller
Subject: Re: Just started with 2.4
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:39:19 -0500

Han-Wen,

Thanks for the quick response.

Dick

-----

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 00:44 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > I just converted to 2.4 from 2.2 and am trying to figure out how to
> > recover some of the functionality.
> >
> > 1. In title, etc. in the header block you used to be able to force a
> >    newline with \\\\ .  Now you try to use the markup specifiers but
> >    they don't work quite as expected.  If you use \align-center you
> >    get a two lines whose centers line up but which are not centered
> >    on the page.
>
> Thanks, fixed.
>
> > 2. The head tag is no longer supported.  When dealing with multipage
> >    music, the head tag keeps me from getting messed up when I drop
> >    the pile of paper on the floor  8^).
>
> Try setting "instrument" in the toplevel header.
>
> The titling code was intended as a proof of concept - I don't really
> know what kind of custimization options people want.  The head tag,
> did it replace the entire header, or just a part of it?

The old format would be:

head                                              page
                     Title
                    Sub-title

                                              Composer
                                              Arranger
                    Instrument

-----

On subsequent pages you would get:

head                                              page

  or

page                                              head

-----

I usually put the title (or an abbreviation of it) in head.
So I would have the title on every page.  The only thing I
didn't like about the old implementation was that head and
page number could have been omitted from the first page.

I see from looking at some of the new ouput that instrument
is now on every page.  However, it is right in the center.
The small size, corner placement previously used by head was
less intrusive.

> >3. I used to use \\newpage as the value for piece.  This would force
> >   there to be a title page and have the music start on the next
> >   page.  Most of the music I am working on fits nicely into 2 sides
> >   of letter size paper.  If you have the title information there
> >   too then it forces the last line or 2 onto an additional page.  I
> >   really hate turning pages  8^).
>
> Lily 2.4 is able to fit more music on 2 pages than before. Check the
> doc for hints on how to adjust vertical spacing.

I had noticed that I was getting more music on each page than before.
It still is a nice format to not have the full title on the same page
with the notes.  I suppose the real problem is that I was never
impressed enough with Knuth to learn TeX  8^).

Dick Schoeller
address@hidden
http://schoeller.ne.client2.attbi.com/
781.449.5476