Re: who uses lilypond

From: Ed Baskerville
Subject: Re: who uses lilypond
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:18:58 -0800

I'm fairly new to LilyPond, and brand-new to this list.

I'm a recent college graduate, programmer and cellist living in San Francisco, looking to somehow make myself financially solvent through some combination of Mac programming, freelance technical writing, and cello playing.

So far: a few simple arrangements to play at my cousin's wedding.

Just begun: a by-ear transcription of the Astor Piazzolla album The Rough Dancer and the Cyclical Night, and subsequent arrangement for whatever combination of friends I can get together to play the thing. (If anybody knows where the sheet music might exist, I'm very eager to turn this into simply an arranging project. Anybody?)

Also: I might as well mention that I'm starting to the groundwork for a Mac OS X front end to LilyPond, which will probably bring me back here often over the next few months. I'm actually envisioning two programs: one that's just a previewer (a la TeXShop), and one that has graphical editing, MIDI input, etc. The first I'll probably GPL and ask for donations; the second I'll probably charge for.

And I might as well conduct my own informal survey on LilyPond apps for Mac OS X: (1) who would use a simple LilyPond previewer (little more than easy switching between syntax-colored code and PDF output); and (2) who is interested in a fairly simple graphical music editing program that uses LilyPond for final output?

--Ed Baskerville