Trouble running Lilypond for first time

From: Jane Craford
Subject: Trouble running Lilypond for first time
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:04:33 -0800

Hello,

Could you walk me through some troubleshooting steps? I downloaded and installed Fink to my iBook PowerPC G3 running OS X 10.3.7; then used FinkCommander v. 0.5.3 to install Lilypond binary 2.2.5.

I created a test file in a text editor, as instructed. Then, in Darwin, entered the command:

lilypond test.ly

this was the output:

[pc24:~] kronelib% lilypond test.ly
lilypond (GNU LilyPond) 2.2.5
Running lilypond-bin...
warning: can't find file: `test'

lilypond: warning: no LilyPond output found for `test'
Running ...
Running dvips...lilypond: error: `dvips' failed (status 1)
lilypond: error: The error log is as follows:
This is dvips(k) 5.92b Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
lilypond: warning: Failed to make PS file. Rerun with --verbose for a trace.

So then I tried running the file suomi.ly that was inside the ly folder that was installed in the /share/lilypond/ly directory when lilypond was installed by Fink Commander, and this is the output I got:

[pc24:~] kronelib% lilypond suomi.ly
lilypond (GNU LilyPond) 2.2.5
Running lilypond-bin...
Now processing `suomi.ly'
Parsing...

lilypond: warning: no LilyPond output found for `suomi'
Running ...
Running dvips...lilypond: error: `dvips' failed (status 1)
lilypond: error: The error log is as follows:
This is dvips(k) 5.92b Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
lilypond: warning: Failed to make PS file. Rerun with --verbose for a trace.
[pc24:~] kronelib%

What should I try to correct these problems?

Thank you for your help,

Jane Craford
Chief Librarian
Krone Library