Re: trillspan issue - moving the trill mark slightly higher

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: trillspan issue - moving the trill mark slightly higher
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:34:38 +0100

Chip wrote:
Gilles wrote:

Thanks for the hack, it doesn't work quite right.

This is because you have to adapt the construct to the
actual bar content.  In

  << { music_a } { music_b } >>

The duration must be equal in "music_a" and "music_b" or
you'll have bar check failures (and/or the music will not
look like you would expect).

Actually, the total duration of the <<...>> will be the same
as the longest of music_a and music_b, so there's no reason
to add extra spacing notes at the end to make them match,
for example.

E.g. for the bar with the half-note:

| a4-> <<{c,2.->(\startTrillSpan}{s2 s4 s8 s16 s32 s32\stopTrillSpan}>> |

Here the duration of "music_a" is "2." while for "music_b" it is "1".
Hence, you should write:

| <<{ a4-> c,2.->(\startTrillSpan}{s2 s4 s8 s16 s32 s32\stopTrillSpan}>> |

Using the skipnumbers you have here works, but the trill-line extends to the next note, actually slightly beyond the edge of the next note. By tweaking the numbers a little more I am able to make the trill line end just prior to the next note, like this:

<<{ a4-> c,2.->(\startTrillSpan}{s2 s4 s8. s16\stopTrillSpan}>>

New question - the trillspan TR is colliding with the sharp # of a g# on the top line, and in another instance collides with a > accent on the top line. I'm sure there is a way to move it using
\once \override someThingHere #'extra-offset = #'(x . x)
But what is the content of someThingHere? I know of TextScript and RehearsalMark, but haven't had to use any others (and haven't found a list of all possibilities for this variable (if that is the correct term for that)).

The concept you are looking for is simply called "object" or "layout
object" in the manual (earlier they were called "grob" for graphical
object, but I think that has vanished from the manual now).

OK, how can you find out what object will typeset the specific feature
you want to modify? The easiest is often to look at the section of the
manual describing this feature. Here, for example, the relevant section
is "Running trills",
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Running-trills.html#Running-trills
At the bottom of this page, you will find links to the Program
reference. In this case you have two chances, where TrillSpanner is
the correct one. If you click on TrillSpanner, you will see a list
of the properties that are set by default, among others the property
called "padding" which is the best to use if you want to move something
vertically.
Note that this is not the full list of properties that's available for
this particular object. To see all of them, you have to browse through
all the "interfaces" linked at the bottom of the page.

Why did I write this long answer, when it's all described in the
"Changing Defaults" section of the manual? Good question!

   /Mats