Re: Lyrics and Clefs in Cues for Horns

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics and Clefs in Cues for Horns
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:04:52 +0100

J. Daniel Ashton wrote:
Near the very end of a movement, I want to set lyrics to choral
(soprano?) cues for two measures.  The horn part is shown on two staves
(1st horn, 2nd horn) and I want the cues in the top staff, with the
lyrics between the staves.  Is there a way to "drop this in"?  Or does
it (a lyrics context?) have to be set up at the beginning of the movement?

Take a look at the example called staff-halfway.ly in the "Regression
Test" document to see how to create something in the middle of a score.
However, if you use this idea for the lyrics, they will appear below the
bottom stave since contexts are ordered vertically in the order they
first appear in \score{...}. So, if you want it betwen the staves, you
have to define it from the beginning of the piece. If it's just a few
measures, it's probably easiest to use explicit durations for each
syllable instead of \lyricsto, since then you can start the lyrics with
a single \skip. Something like:
\score{
\new Staff { % 1st horn part ...}
\new Lyrics \lyricmode {
\skip 1*58
Here2 come4 the | cue2 notes2 | }
\new Staff { % 2nd horn part ...}
}

When I show cues for instruments in a different transposition, it seems
appropriate to show the clef before and after the cues to indicate the
change of  "key," even though it's the same clef the horns use.  Is
there a way to force the clef to be displayed, even though its "the same"?
  \set Staff.forceClef = ##t

   /Mats