Re: Tuplets

From: VSD
Subject: Re: Tuplets
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 18:22:18 +0200

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:08:44 +0200, Craig Brinker <address@hidden> wrote:

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just
started to use lilypond and I was trying make triplets. Here is the
source I was using:

the program's output speaks for itself: there's an unknown "\" and an extra "}". notice that the lilypond output states the line and the column at which there are syntax errors in your input file.

note that "\ times" is *not* the same that "\times" and that at the end of your \score block there's an unmatched bracket "}". the correct code is:

\version "2.6.0"
     upper = \relative c'' {
        \clef treble
        \key g \major
        \time 4/4

         g g2. a4 b4 a4
     }

     lower = \relative c {
        \clef bass
        \key c \major
        \time 4/4

        \times 2/3 { e, b' e }  % an error was here
     }

     \score {
        \context PianoStaff <<
           \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Piano  "
           \context Staff = upper \upper
           \context Staff = lower \lower

        \layout { }
        \midi { \tempo 4=60 }
     } % another error was here

You have to be careful with lilypond syntax, and know it well. I'd sugest you to use a text editor with programming helper features (such as bracket matching) to help you detecting errors like these. For Windows, JEdit with it's excelent plugin Lily4Jedit is highly recommended for entering lilypond scores (See the manual).

Greetings,

Vincent