Re: sponsoring better tied chords?

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: sponsoring better tied chords?
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:14:08 -0600

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 09:14:55PM +0200, VSD wrote:
> All,
> it seems that Lilypond still manages the tied chords poorly, and the ties
> in chords collide very often.
>
> e.g. see:
> http://personales.ya.com/v_s_d/tied_chords.png
>
> imho this problem should be solved to avoid "poor looking" spots in the
> otherwise gorgeously engraved lilypond scores, so I would be willing to
> sponsor a feature which helps to improve this issue.
>
> Anyone would like to join forces (budget) with me to help me to afford the
> sponsoring? :)

--- ---

I would be happy to help co-sponsor such a feature, if Han-Wen considers
it worthwhile to study the issue to see if there may be a practical
approach to its implementation. I have attached a PNG image that
illustrates the default behavior of LilyPond 2.6.3 with respect to ties
and chords, especially with respect to intervals of a second, and below
that, in the same image, is an example of what I would like to be able
to achieve with respect to those same types of chords.

Thank you Vincent, for bringing the subject up. It has been on my mind
recently too. Anyone else willing to help co-sponsor Han-Wen's work on
this feature, if he considers it feasible?

-Steve D
New Mexico US

(I apologize for the size of the PNG attachment. I made it as small as I
felt it could be while trying to retain the clarity of the illustration.)