Re: color every note-head by its note-name

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: color every note-head by its note-name
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:17:49 +0200

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 07.42, address@hidden wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
> > It requires some Scheme hacking though, and you need to know about the
> > internal representation of Music Expressions. It's probably doable in
> > less than 20 lines of code, including colour codes.
>
> Where does there exist a systematic explanation of the details of
> -- LilyPond's internal representations in general

There is no public general document on this matter.

I wrote a rough overview of the structure in my thesis, which can be acquired
by CVS:
export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:2401/exjobb2005-1
cvs co exjobb

It's currently terribly broken, so only look there if you're in a desperate
need for it, and only look at the first 2-3 chapters. Please don't expect
anything from the document.

> -- all of the Scheme functions used in LilyPond

See lilypond internals,
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond-internals/Scheme-functions.html#Scheme-functions

> I admit I shouldn't be asking this question yet, as at this point I have
> worked my way through only about a quarter of one of the online Scheme
> tutorials. Years ago I did some programming in Lisp 1.5; it isn't the kind
> of thing you forget.  Looking at *.SCM files and seeing function
> definitions with parameters that aren't even used in the body of the
> function (parser, location,...)  made me realize I had to learn Scheme.
No, that's just a convention used in Lily. Those parameters are used only for
error reporting.
> But I have a suspicion that learning Scheme isn't going to get me very far
> without an explanatory reference on the data structures and functions
> peculiar to LilyPond.

This is a problem. You're very welcome to help us with it.

I think a good start can be to play around with displayLilyMusic, FWIW.

> Searching for stuff in the Program Reference manual by itself doesn't
> suffice.  I can find possibly relevant terms that way, but if I can't find
> a usage example in one of the *.SCM files in the distribution, LOL.
>
> Or is it just felt that it would be better if new users weren't distracted
> by trying to acquire a knowledge of the details of LilyPond Scheme?
'lilypond Scheme' is actually GNU Guile plus the functions on the link above.

--
Erik