Re: alignment of text in TextSpanner

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: alignment of text in TextSpanner
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:34:37 -0500

On 9/21/05, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 20-Sep-05, at 11:22 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > \relative c'' {
> >   \override TextSpanner #'edge-text = #'("s.p." . "ord.")
> >   \override TextSpanner #'bound-padding = #1.0
> >   \override TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #'()
> >   \override TextSpanner #'arrow = ##t
> >
> >   a8\startTextSpan gis8 a4 b4
> >   b,4 | g' c\stopTextSpan c
> > }
> >

> > The problem is that the second word "ord." is aligned on the basis of
> > the
> > letter "d", I suppose, and because of this is misaligned compared to
> > the
> > arrow and the first word.
>
> What version of lilypond are you using?  I just tried this in 2.7.8 and
> it looks
> ok to me... what exactly is the problem with the alignment?

Rendering Libero's example under 2.7.9 aligns the far left edge of
both indications (ie, the far left edge of the "s" in the ponticello
indication, and the far left edge of the "o" in the ordinario
indcation) with the dead center of the notehead.

My preference would be to center both indications over the notes,
somewhat by analogy to dynamics.

It seems that the pair of ...

 \override TextScript #'self-alignment-X = #center
 \override TextScript #'X-offset-callbacks =
#`(,Self_alignment_interface::aligned_on_self)

... should do the trick, but I can't make the indications budge at
all, unfortunately. Perhaps the overrides must be somehow *local* to
the pair of strings assigned to #edge-text, but I don't know the
syntax for sticking in the overrides locally.

Maybe Graham or Mats or Nicolas can explain how to adjust the x-axis
alignment of edge text independently?

--
Trevor Bača