Escape sequence for accentuated characters?

From: Raphael Manfredi
Subject: Escape sequence for accentuated characters?
Date: 28 Oct 2005 21:32:37 GMT

Hello,

Does anyone know of an escape sequence enabling the composition
of accentuated characters?  My system is a non-UTF8 system (ISO-latin-1)
and I don't have any way to type an UTF-8 character in my xterms.

I can type iso-latin-1, but apparently this is not understood by 2.6.3,
whereaas it worked correctly in 2.4.5.

So, what's the way to type pure ASCII accentuated letters in lilypond?

Raphael