Re: Hello! Complicated newbie questions!

From: Markian Hlynka
Subject: Re: Hello! Complicated newbie questions!
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:38:02 -0700

On Nov 5, 2005, at 9:07, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Quoting Arthur Dyck <address@hidden>:

I'm on a steep learning curve also, and the list has been great.  There are a
couple of other things you can do.  Download the manual onto your machine and
then do word searches for what you are trying to do.  For example, if you do
a search for "transparent", you 'll find ways to make bars, notes and stems
transparent, among other things.

I hope you have realized that there is an index to the manual.

indeed I have, and I do searches through the pdf as well, sometimes, though, I either can't quite find what I'm looking for, or can't figure it out.

Another thing I have been doing is finding templates wherever I can and then
using or adapting them.  People will often send you a template if you tell
them what you are trying to do.  Another good place to look is
www.mutopiaproject.org.  There you'll find lots of different styles of music
with both the pdf and .ly files.

Don't forget the LSR, linked from lilypond.org -> Documentation. Most
of these examples are also included in the Tips and Tricks and Regression Tests document.

Thanks for the tips. I found the LSR, but where do I find the Regression Tests?

You sound really excited about Lilypond, as are we all.  But you might get
more responses if you split up your questions into separate emails with their
own subject line.

Yeah, I should know better, but I didn't want to spam the list with half a dozen emails first-off; I figured one would be a cleaner start!

It seems that you have missed the \lyricsto feature which tells which lyrics line should be aligned with wich music. This should also answer
the next question. Read in section "The Lyrics Context" for more information.

I have re-read the section you specify, and have looked at the vocal template in section 3 of the manual too. I guess one thing that I'm not clear on is what the Voice context is for. I wanted one voice per staff, so I figured I could ignore it. I gather that I can't. But, for some reason voice also implied no chords to me, which I didn't like. I suppose I'm probably wrong there.

I'll try it out soon and see what I can do.

Thanks for your help!

Markian