Re: \lyricsto was: Complicated newbie questions!

From: Markian Hlynka
Subject: Re: \lyricsto was: Complicated newbie questions!
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:41:55 -0700

On Nov 6, 2005, at 4:29, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

You just give a name to the voice of music you want to attach your
lyrics to. To make it clear what is what in the syntax I didn't use the
obvious name "mainvoice" but "THEMUSIC" in the following example:
\score{
  <<
    \context Voice = THEMUSIC \mainvoice
    \lyricsto THEMUSIC \new Lyrics \mainwords

}

If you want to split lyrics when the music splits into several voices,
use separate Voice contexts with separate names and just attach the
lyrics to the corresponding voice. Read in "7.3.6 More stanzas" to see
one example.

Hi, Matt.

I must not quite understand how Voice is intended to work.

Is it possible, then, to have 2 voices, call them A and B, in the same staff, where voice B only occasionally has separate lyrics and or notes? I mean, without having a whole lot of rests in B? Like, I'd align parts of B to marker in A or something. Or am I totally off my rocker?

Thanks,

Markian