Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:28:38 +0100

In article <address@hidden>,
 "Gianluca D." <address@hidden> wrote:

> Alle 23:06, venerdì 2 dicembre 2005, Ian Hawthorn ha scritto:
>
> > I can tell you that what you are asking is a hard problem, so don't get
> > your hopes up that there is an easy answer.
>
> The answer is quite easy, once you have learned to use the wonderful ability
> of Lilypond to merge different music expressions into one context.

There is another answer, too, almost as simple, for those of us that
like to keep the e.g. first tenor music within a single musical
expression:

- use "\skip 8" (or some other duration; it's not used within \lyricsto)
instead of "_" for the "blanks" in lyrics.

- to avoid wasting space in the first system, also "\override
Score.RemoveEmptyVerticalGroup #'remove-first = ##t".

When the amount of lyrics specific to a voice is very small, consider
not using \lyricsto (or \addlyrics) at all, and rather specify the
durations manually (\lyricmode{ \skip 1*15 Bee 4 Bop 8 }).

Example code: http://regina.uio.no/~arvidg/Norges_Fjeld.ly
Resulting PDF: http://regina.uio.no/~arvidg/Norges_Fjeld.pdf

Arvid