Re: Unable to tie chords together in chordmode

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Unable to tie chords together in chordmode
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:57:04 +0100

If you typeset your chords using a ChordNames context,
\new ChordNames \harmonies
then there is no support for ties. On the other hand, if you typeset the
chords using normal notes,
\new Staff \harmonies
then you will of course also get the ties. So, it really has nothing to do with
\chordmode per se.

I tried to add the tie engraver (the functions handling ties) to the ChordNames context, but the only thing that happens is that you get rid of the warning. LilyPond is still unable to print the ties, since they are connected to note heads.

What kind of layout did you expect for ties between chords?

  /Mats

Stephen Torri wrote:

When I attempt to use a chord tie in a \chordmode I get an error when
using lilypond 2.6.5:
lilypond Silent_Night.ly
       GNU LilyPond 2.6.5
       Processing `Silent_Night.ly'
       Parsing...
       Interpreting music...
       piece.ly:30:27: warning: junking event: `TieEvent'
       harmonies = \chordmode { g1
                                  ~ | g1 | d1 }

Here is my chord line:

       harmonies = \chordmode { g1~ | g1 | d1 }

What am I doing wrong?

Stephen

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing