Re: Changing polyphonic per-voice rest position

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Changing polyphonic per-voice rest position
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:33:15 -0500

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 05:42 am, Maarten Storm wrote:
> Nicholas Bailey wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm trying to typeset a piece of polyphonic keyboard music by the
> > English composer John Bull with version 2.4 and 2.6 (two different
> > platforms), and I've noticed the positioning of the rests doesn't
look
> > too good. I understand that you can place a rest using a note
followed
> > by \rest, but for much of the score the register of the "sooprano"
> > part is rather low, and the default rest position for that voice
seems
> > to be at the very top or even above the clef.
> >
> > Would it be possible to say "Please use the following default
vertical
> > positions for rests for the moment"

Wouldn't it be better to have \followrests mean that the rest
takes its pitch from the next note in the part?  Rests are
cues and the ideal pitch for a rest if there is more than one
part is the one that leads one's eye to the note.  daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
"Dynamic Guitar Technique": http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html