Still learning Lilypond's ropes

From: Ray
Subject: Still learning Lilypond's ropes
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:40:38 +0000 (UTC)

First, a huge thank you to the people who took the time to respond to my earlier
post a few weeks ago.  I am still working through some issues but got a better
sense of how the "score" section works thanks to your generous help.

I have another question now, which hopefully will have an easier answer.
Currently, my melody and lyrics match up nicely and I'm producing a MIDI file.
However, the PDF has unoptimal line breaks and I'm wondering if there's a way to
fix that:

For example, I want to have one line of lyrics per line of music, as follows:

     This is line one and I'd like it to break _here_;
     This is line two and hopefully it breaks here;
     Here's the final line and ends here.

Instead, lilypond is making it look like this:

     This is line one and I'd like it to
     break _here_; This is line two and hopefully
     it breaks here; Here's the final line and ends here.

Is it possible to alter this or am I just going to have to accept the output
that lilypond creates?  I was able to make it look nicer in an earlier .ly file,
but that wouldn't produce any MIDI output and had lots of other mistakes.

Many thanks for hints or suggestions.  If this is covered already in the manual
I'll happily just read up on it---part of the difficulty in using the manual has
been that it requires a lot of musical notation knowledge, which I don't (yet!)
have.

Lastly, an easy to use template for a popular song (vocal melody and guitar
chords w/ finger diagrams, as one might buy in the store) would be awesome.  If
anyone has one or wants to make a template that would greatly help those of us
amateur songwriters who want to just get our creations on paper.

Best regards,

Ray

---

http://www.kaisora.com -- fine art and travel photography by Ray Bartlett