Re: scanning music and transposing

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: scanning music and transposing
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:46:27 -0800

On 15-Jan-2006, at 8:45 AM, Robert T Wyatt wrote:

Hi Lilypond folks,

I was wondering if anyone has scanned sheet music and then used Lilypond to transpose keys (especially on a Macintosh). I've googled a bit and haven't found a method for doing this yet. Any guidance is appreciated.

OK, so you want to transpose this piece. You scan the music, but what do you want to do next?

You'll still have to type the notes into Lilypond by hand. There is no software anywhere that does a decent job of reading scanned scores. (I don't even think there's software that does a bad job!) The available technology is too primitive.

But once you type the names of the original notes into your Lilypond file, transposing is a simple matter of putting a "transpose" statement at the top. You could transpose, print, then transpose into another key and print again, with no work at all. But there's no way around having to input all the notes by hand first.

David