Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:06:54 -0500

Hi, Han-Wen, etc.:

you have to install both the Century Schoolbook font, and the feta- alphabet fonts so Illustrator recognizes it. I expect that you will need to convert the feta-alphabet* fonts to TTF, eg. using fontforge.

Okay, I've installed fontforge and converted all the Lilypond fonts, and Illustrator now recognizes them on import of the PDF (i.e., it doesn't warn and/or substitute). If anyone wants a set of all the Lilypond fonts, I'm going to make a package with TTF, OTF, and Type 1 font versions, and can email them to you (or maybe we should put the package up on the Lilypond site somewhere?).

That being said, there are two more problems...

1. Although Illustrator doesn't complain anymore about the fonts themselves (by name), it does say "To preserve appearance, some text has been outlined." In the file, all of the non-note scripts (markup, rehearsal marks, instrument names, titles, bar numbers, etc.) appear as question marks, even though they are defined as the correct font and when I click on them and type, they are not outlines. Any idea what might be going on there? It's not a *huge* deal to retype the items in Illustrator, but on larger scores, I'd rather save the effort if I can.

2. I've noticed that several scripts are double-engraved (i.e., there are two copies of the same item in the PostScript) -- again, it's not a huge deal, since I just delete on in Illustrator and retype the other (as per note #1). So far, I'm sure that the instrument name and initial tempo indication (\mark \markup...) are examples of this phenomenon, but I'm assuming I'll find more as I proceed.

Best wishes,
Kieren.