Re: Single Straight Eighths?

From: Dave LaDelfa
Subject: Re: Single Straight Eighths?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:16:00 +0000 (UTC)

S L Raymond <sly_raymond <at> charter.net> writes:

> In a Jazz chart with mostly swung eighth notes, what is the preferred
> nomenclature for a single straight 8th note?

A single one? I can't imagine how you've not have some multiple of 2.

Completely unambiguous would be the designation "no swing" above the notes in
question and "swing" immediately after.

Or even better: use the same horizontal dashed line and closing foot as is used
for 8va signs, e.g.

          No swing-----------------|  Swing
(notes)    (notes)    (more notes)     (notes)

The "duol" suggestion someone else gave is also pretty good. (I believe the
actual term is "duplet") In this case, two eigth notes with a bracket and the
numeral 2 over them doesn't mean exactly the same thing it does in 6/8 music
(e.g. to change the length of the eighths by 150%), but it's a visual indicator
that you want them played somehow differently -- more "squarely" -- from their
neighbors.

I'd use the duplet-bracket indication WITH a text label "(not swung)" the first
time it appears, and then the duplet-bracket by itself thereafter. That should
be fairly clear to most players.