Re: setting word-space more globally?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: setting word-space more globally?
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:56:39 +0200

These properties are ordinary layout properties, so if you for example
use the \markup as a lyrics syllable, then you can do \override LyricText #'word-space = ...
within the current lyrics line. You can also do the setting globally
for all Lyrics contexts as described in "Changing default context settings".

The property is certainly documented, both in section "Overview of markup commands" and in the program reference for LyricText and several other text related layout objects (in section "Entering Lyrics", click on "LyricText at the bottom of the page and then on "text-interface") Note that there are a large number of properties available that are never mentioned explicitly in the main text of the manual, only in the program reference.

  /Mats

Quoting "Rick Hansen (aka RickH)" <address@hidden>:

Is there any way that the word-space property can be set more globally,
instead of within each specific \markup itself?  Specifically is there any
way that I can set word-space property at the Lyrics staff level?  I use the
following markup repeatedly and I want to find a way to shorten up my source
code because constantly resetting word-space is redundant:

varDomSevFltFivIII = \markup {\override #'(word-space . 0.1) \center-align
        { \line { "D" { \super \line { 7 \flat 5 } } }
        { \fret-diagram-terse #"4;x;4;5;3;x;" } } }

Since I use several variables like the above in the Lyrics staff, I want to
set word-space at Lyrics level and eliminate it from each specific variable.
(because there are several variables like the above that contain this same
redundant word-space expression).

Also usage of word-space is not documented in the manual, it may be an item
to add, same for baseline-skip.

Thanks
Rick