Re: Lyrics and centering

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Lyrics and centering
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:14:01 -0400

Hi, Michael:

I am having a problem with the centering of lyrics, for which I was hoping to get some help. I cannot get the words to center underneath the proper note when a tie is involved. For instance, if a note is tied, the word is centering underneath the Two notes,
and not underneath only the first note of the tie, as it should.

I think you might be mistaken regarding the traditional engraving convention -- my copy of "The Essential Dictionary of Musical Notation" says

"Another help in reading a melisma is the proper alignment of the lyric.
    The word or syllable, instead of being centered under the note,
    should be aligned flush left with the left edge of the notehead."

Which is exactly what Lilypond does (in my experience). That being said, I do think that Lilypond is too "severe" in its left- alignedness -- therefore, I have resorted to using

    \once \override LyricText #'X-offset = #-0.5

in order to give the lyrics a slightly "softer" look.

In any case, play around with #'X-offset, #'self-alignment-X, etc., in your LyricText object(s) to see what best fixes your specific issue (s).

Cheers,
Kieren.