Re: winxp - delay and filenames

From: Russ Lenth
Subject: Re: winxp - delay and filenames
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:18:23 +0000 (UTC)

David Griffel <d.griffel <at> bristol.ac.uk> writes:

> I've just started to use lilypond 2.8.5 installed on WinXP (not using
> cygwin).  I have a couple of simple questions about running under windows.
>
> 1.  Even with a very small input file, I find a delay of 4-5 seconds
> after  invoking lilypond before I see anything happening.  Is this
> normal, or am I doing something wrong?  It's the same whether I type
> "lilypond filename" in a console window, or invoke lilypond through an
> editor interface.  I've used Latex a lot, which seems to work much
> faster - but then music processing is more complicated than text.
>
> 2.  It seems that lilypond can read files with long names, but it writes
> .ps and .pdf files in 8+4 format.  So if I use a filename with more than
> 8 characters, the output files have apparently different names.  Is
> there any way to get it to output .ps files with the same name as the
> input file?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers
> David Griffel

It doesn't show anything until it gets to the step where it converts from PS to
PDF.  I find this frustrating too.  What's more, the command-line version
(lilypond.exe) seems to be set up as a Windows rather than DOS program.  I
suggest downloading the development version, which in this case seems more
stable than the "stable" release.

Russ