setting up a very complex choral layout

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: setting up a very complex choral layout
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:39:49 -0400

[ v2.9.14 ]

Hello, all!

I'm currently finishing up a big choral commission, and starting the engraving process.

I've never Lily-d any choral piece bigger than a hymn setting, and I'm running into some difficulties -- I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction(s).

The choral parts will be, "at worst", spread across four staves (S+A+T +B) each of which will display two voices (e.g., S1 + S2) with potentially independent lyrics. However, at certain points (systems) in the piece, a two-stave (SA + TB) or even one staff (unison) layout will be possible/preferable.

I would like to have the most reusable possible situation (e.g., I might eventually want to have different editions of the same piece), but I'm running into difficulties developing the setup and applying the correct combination(s) of \partcombine, \lyricsto, etc.

Has anyone done such a big choral setup? If so, what guidelines can you recommend? The relevant manual sections have been, unfortunately, of no help past a certain point.

Thanks!
Kieren.

p.s. I'm also creating a piano reduction, so if anything could be done (i.e., in the code) to make \partcombine work more smoothly (re: 8 voice polyphony), I'd appreciate those hints as well... =)