Incipit

From: Trent Johnston
Subject: Incipit
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:49:09 +1000

Hello Everyone,

After a couple of days of trial and error I've come up with an alternative
way of placing incipits in a score. Rather than have every system in your
score have an incipit as in the "Transcription of mensural music" example.
The attached code (also below) lets the user create an incipt on a staff by
staff basis. ie. you might only want an incipit staff on a soprano line of a
score indicating that it was originally notated using the soprano clef. This
is done by putting a score as a markup in the instrumentName line.

This incipit also allows the user to keep the brackets at the beginning of
the main score as well as throughout the piece.

I've tried to put this into the  "LilyPond Snippet Repository" but I get an
error saying that it can't find the "init.ly" file.

If anyone has further tips or questions please feel free to email me back.

Regards

Trent

\version "2.9.17"

#(set-global-staff-size 14)

\header {
}

\include "english.ly"

staffViolin = \new Staff  {
\time 4/4
\set Staff.instrumentName = \markup { \line { \score {
<<
\new Staff  {
\time 4/4
\set Staff.instrumentName = \markup { \fontsize #1 "Violino I."  \hspace
#1 }
\key c \major
\clef soprano
\relative c' {
\set Staff.fontSize = #-1
\override Staff.StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -1)
c4 s4 \bar ""
}}

\layout  {
raggedright = ##t
line-width = 4\cm
\context { \Staff \remove Time_signature_engraver }
 }}} \hspace #1 }
 \set Staff.midiInstrument="violin"
 \key c \major
 \clef treble
 \relative c' {
c4 c c c
c4 c c c
 \bar "|."

staffViolinII = \new Staff  {
\time 4/4
\set Staff.instrumentName = \markup { \line { \score {
<<
\new Staff  {
\time 4/4
\set Staff.instrumentName = \markup { \fontsize #1 "Violino II."  \hspace
1  }
\key c \major
\clef soprano
\relative c' {
\set Staff.fontSize = #-1
\override Staff.StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -1)
c4 s4 \bar ""
}}

\layout  {
raggedright = ##t
line-width = 4\cm
\context { \Staff \remove Time_signature_engraver }
}}} \hspace #1 }
 \set Staff.midiInstrument="violin"
 \key c \major
 \clef treble