Re: Repositioning \tempo, and one other question

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Re: Repositioning \tempo, and one other question
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:17:20 -0400

OnionRingOfDoom wrote:

Like the subject says, is there any way to reposition the \tempo mark? I'd
love to be able to move it a bit to the left.

First, here's the fish:

\once \override Score.MetronomeMark #'X-offset = #-2

right before your first tempo mark to move it 2 spaces to the left. To move all of them the same way, omit \once.

Now, here's an example how to fish for this solution yourself: ;)

Go to the Documentation page for your version of Lilypond;
Click on "User manual";
Scroll down, click on "Appendix H LilyPond index"
Find "\tempo", and follow the link to "Metronome marks"
Notice the \override example at the bottom:
  \override Score.MetronomeMark #'padding = #2.5
To see what other settings (besides padding) are available,
Click on "Program reference: MetronomeMark";
Notice the "Standard settings" listed;
Click on this-interface and that-interface at the bottom to see more available settings; If you didn't know whether to use Score.MetronomeMark (rather than Staff.MetronomeMark or whatever), you could click on:
"MetronomeMark objects are created by: Metronome_mark_engraver"
and see at the bottom of that page:
"Metronome_mark_engraver is part of contexts: Score"
which would tell you what to use for Context in Context.MetronomeMark.
If the context is Voice, then you can usually omit it, e.g.:
\override TextScript ...
instead of
\override Voice.TextScript

Hope that helps!

Marcus

P.S. I don't know about your second question, concerning instrument names. I would try removing '= "Soprano"' and see if that helps, but that's just a guess.