How to make a grace rest?

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: How to make a grace rest?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:31:07 -0800 (PST)

How can I code a grace note (actually that is really a grace rest) but also
make it completly invisible and take up no space, on a one-time/as-needed
basis?

I'd like to be able to change the "current duration" that lilypond has set
without actually having to introduce any music to the score that would be
seen, or get played in midi, or count against the measure beats.

Is there a grace rest?  And can I temporarily set it to transparent when I
need to?

thanks
Rick