Re: Usability Question

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: Usability Question
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:30:47 +0100

1. The score has four voises. All have their own stems. I find it
extremely
complicated to arrange stems/notes in the same order (right to left), and
stems in the correct direction.
I personally would condense this down to one or possibly two voices. Somebody else might have other suggestions.
No, that's not right. It's a polyphonic piece.LilyPond handles different polyphonic voices very well, I think you can use \voiceOne etc. to override default order.

2. I have not found an easy way to change the placement of ties (over or
below the notes)
You can set the #'direction of ties in the latest unstable version; I'm not certain if this new feature exists in stable yet.
What's the problem with \tieUp and \tieDown?
3. I have also not found a neatly usable command to try to make a score
into
one page, or to force a system/line brake.
Err, \break ?
You can try to make the whole score fit onto a single page by changing the font size.
Using system-count in paper block can help also.
I admit that not finding the function for a simple line brake was not very
smart of me. I have studied the online-manual thouroughly, but it's not easy
to find solutions there, and I haven't found them for the descripbed
problems.
What would have happened if you searched for the text "line brake" in the manual?
Also, fake a solution with invisibile notes is not a solution you would like
to use in an edition of a 65-page manuscript.
Yes, it is. And actually this is exactly the way you would do this in Finale, for example. Using fake notes a very easy way. You just write:
<< { c d ~ \hideNotes e \unHideNotes }  \\ { f g e} >>
(And you should also think about whether the tied notes are not in the same voice)
I'm trying to use lilypond for an important publication, so I'd be glad to
get some real help here!
I think you do get.

Bert