Re: Searchable Lilypond manual [Was: Re: Downloading documentation]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Searchable Lilypond manual [Was: Re: Downloading documentation]
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:08:53 -0800

Rune Zedeler wrote:
I don't really get...
What is the problem with just serching on the "one big page" docu?

It takes a lot of time (and bandwidth!) to load? Also, I assume that this search is more intelligent than just finding the first appearance of your string; it attempts to rank the results.

Sebastino, I just did a quick check with "line break", and the first two results were in the Program Reference. What about adding an option (IMHO, it should be enabled by default) to restrict the search to the user manual? Most people don't want to see stuff like "Forbid_line_breaker" or "line-break-event". :)

The fifth result of that search was the "all-in-one page"; you should probably remove that from the search space. I mean, the whole point of this searching is that you don't need to use the "one big page"! :)

Cheers,
- Graham