What is a system?

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: What is a system?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:59:28 +0100

Dear list,

For a few years now I've been working around this issue, but it finally caught on to me. It might be my lack of understanding of musical english, but:
What is a System in for example between-system-padding?

Is it one line of music? Is it one score? is it a set of bars? Is it everything that fits on one page? Could someone please point me to the right part of the documentation where system is defined in clear english?

Thanks a lot,
Arjan