Beaming solution for non-standard notation

From: JR_Moneybags
Subject: Beaming solution for non-standard notation
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:16:08 -0700 (PDT)

I'm fairly new to Lilypond and I'm struggling to explain what I'm after, but
here goes.

I am trying to notate a hand-written copy of Peter Sculthorpe's RED
LANDSCAPE for String Quartet for a university assignment in notation. This
piece contains some of non-standard notation (or at least notation that I
have not come across) which I am trying to deal with.
This piece is written in 4/8.

The problem that I am having is that the piece features a series of minims,
beamed together (as though they were tremolo). There is probably a name for
this, but I've never seen it before.

So that you can get an idea of how it looks on page (although this code will
obviously not work):
\time 4/8
{ ges2[ s2 ges2 f,2 ges'2 s2 ges2 f,2 ges'2\trillSpan s2 ges32 ges32]

I don't know whether lilypond is capable of doing this. Aparrently it can be
done in Sibelius, but a brief look there gave me no joy either.

Thanks in anticipation.
JR