Re: definition for metrelessness (help?)

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: definition for metrelessness (help?)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:11:02 -0500

On 3/26/07, Monk Panteleimon <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:02:17AM -0400, Geoff Horton wrote:
 > A _slightly_ cleaner option might be to leave barAlways set and put a
 > \noBreak in those spots where a break is unacceptable. If there aren't
 > many, that might be cleaner. But still not very clean, unfortunately.

Hmmm... That does sound better, although still not quite there, since I
would have to put a lot of them in melismata.

How does LP know not to break the line between beamed notes?
It seems that you can allow the beam to break with \allowBeamBreak.
So would it be possible to *disallow the break it for situations other
than beams
-- melismata and certain note sequences for example? Could we adapt
whatever-gets-overriden-by-allowBeamBreak to work on non-beam
scenarios?

Hi Father Panteleimon,

I haven't been following this thread very carefully, but the answer to
the question about LP knowing not to line break beamed notes is the
#'breakable attribute of the Beam grob. If you set ...

 \override Beam #'breakable = ##t

... then LP will line break in the middle of beams, if necessary.
(Beam #'breakable is set to ##f by default.)

Also, although I'm sure an automated solution for meterless music is
preferrable, there is the following setting that I find to be very
helpful for very rhythmically complex music ...

 \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-permission = ##f

... which will cause LP to make *no* line breaks whatsoever. You
should, of course, set #'line-break-permission to ##f only if you are
willing to specify all of your \break commands by hand. Probably most
users will find this method tedious, but it is a very good way to get
the results you want if you know precisely where you'd like the music
to line break.

--
Trevor Bača