Re: Resetting where a barline starts

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Resetting where a barline starts
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:44:56 -0400

    Michael> Laura Conrad <lconrad <at> laymusic.org> writes:
    >>

    >> I'm transcribing a piece that was originally barless, but in lilypond
    >> terms it switches between 2/2 and 3/2 meters.  (Actually the 3/2 is
    >> really a 3/4, since there are a lot of quarter notes, but I want it to
    >> print in single-digit style as a 3, so I've entered it as "\time
    >> 3/2".)
    >>

    Michael> You can reset the position in the measure with
    Michael> \set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 0 2)

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

    Michael> But (if I understand what you really want) it might be better to
separate the
    Michael> measure length from the printed time signature (which you really
intend to be
    Michael> more of a mensuration?).  You can do that by setting measureLength
and
    Michael> timeSignatureFraction separately, or by overriding the time
signature's stencil.
    Michael>  All three possibilities below.  Hope this helps--

I might fool around with stuff like that later.  There are times when
you want the "3" time signature when it's clear that it's really some
other unit than a half note that the composer was counting 3 of.  In
this case, the parts that are in "2" really do want a cut time
signature, and I don't know for sure that John Baldwin wasn't thinking
of his quarter notes in the "3" section in groups of 6; just that the
people I play with complain when the groups of 3 are split up.  So I'm
sticking with:

\override Staff.TimeSignature   #'style = #'single-digit
\time 3/2
\set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 0 2)

for changing to "3", and:

\override Staff.TimeSignature   #'style = #'C
\time 2/2
\set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 0 2)

for changing back to "2".

Thanks for the assistance.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139