Re: How to cleanly convert MIDI to Lilypond?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: How to cleanly convert MIDI to Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 06:52:21 -0400

    Michael> But (as I was warned), my first shot at using midi2ly looked kinda
    Michael> like this:

    Michael>   \tempo 4 = 120
    Michael>   s4*2396/1920 g''4 s4*353/1920 c,4 s4*265/1920 e4 s4*309/1920 g4
    Michael>   s4*175/1920 c,4 s4*176/1920 e4 s4*309/1920 g4 s4*220/1920 c,4

    Michael> D'oh!

    Michael> Is there some automated way I can clean this up?

If the midi2ly -d option doesn't do it for you, is there a
quantization option on your MIDI recorder?

My own keyboard skills are such that I don't even consider playing
real time and expecting either a human or a computer to understand
what my time values are, so I use a step entry type mode, where I
enter the notes with my left hand, and the durations on the keypad
with my right hand.

I'm currently using emacs midi-input
<http://utopia.knoware.nl/~hlub/uck/software/> for my own MIDI note
inputting, and I find midi2ly can be made to work (eventually) with most of the
MIDI files that people upload to sites like the Werner Icking archive
and CPDL.  This is not the best imaginable setup -- it would be nice to
have the midi-input-mode sound the notes I'm playing, but I do make
fewer octavation errors with the music keyboard than with the text
one.  And I do not understand midi2ly's insistance on using s instead
of r for rests (easily fixed with an emacs text substitution).

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139