RE: Trying to control chord symbols

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: RE: Trying to control chord symbols
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:23:12 +0000

LP's default name for d:13 is "9 add 13".  Thinking about it, it IS a logical name, just not what I've been taught and learned about music theory here in the USA.  Perhaps European convention uses that nomenclature?

It seems you have the definitions of the chord name exceptions down.  You have to implement it in you music when you want to use it.  Here is an example:

%%%% Exception to make chord name 13 instead of 9th add 13
chExcThirteen =
{
<c e g bes d' a'>1-\markup { \super "13" }
}
chExsThirteen =
#(append
(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExcThirteen #t)
ignatzekExceptions)

%%%% Exception to make chord name 7 add 4 instead of 7/sus4/add 3
chExcSevenAddFour =
{
<c e f g bes>1-\markup { \super "7add4" }
}
chExsSevenAddFour =
#(append
(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExcSevenAddFour #t)
ignatzekExceptions)

%%%%%

harmonies = \chordmode
{
% ******************* verse 1 *********************
\set chordNameExceptions = #chExsSevenAddFour
fis1 :7.4
\set chordNameExceptions = #chExsThirteen
d:13
fis :7.4
}

\score
{
<<
 \context ChordNames
 {
  \harmonies

This *should* shown the first chord as F#7 add 4, but the second instance as F#7 sus4 add3 (at least it did for me).  In order to have the second F# chord show as I would like I have to implement the exception again before it is rendered, since the implementaion of the 13th exception has overridden my first exception.

At least that is the way it seems to work for me in v2.6.5.