Trying to control chord symbols

From: rif
Subject: Trying to control chord symbols
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:23:55 -0400

I'm trying to get chord symbols in my score to show up how I want.
I've read about ChordNameExceptions in section 7.2.3 ("Printing chord
names") of the manual, and I have this somewhat working --- I make
chExceptionMusic and adjust chExceptions, and set chordNameExceptions,
as described in input/regression/chord-name-exceptions.ly.  However, it
seems to only be partially succesful.  For instance, these seem to work
exactly as I expect:

   <c ees g bes>1-\markup { \super "-7" }
   <c e gis bes>1-\markup { \super "+" }

But these seem to have no effect

   <c e g b d>1-\markup { \super "maj9" }     // f:maj9 yields f^maj7/9
                                              // So does fmaj7.9
   <c e g bes d a>1-\markup { \super "13" } // d:13 yields d^9add13
                                            // So does d:7.9.13

It's almost like I don't have the right chords.  I'm not sure what
lilypond thinks I mean when I type d:13.  Where is this mapping defined?
What am I missing?  I've found the appendix C.1 ("Chord name chart."),
but it's not clear what lilypond code produces these.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

rif