Re: Can Lilypond export separate pdfs?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Can Lilypond export separate pdfs?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:35:02 -0400

    Adam> I've been using Lilypond-LaTeX lately to start getting my
    Adam> book of 1-3 page pieces together. It's working for the most
    Adam> part pretty well although it can be painfully slow the more
    Adam> pieces i \include and I'm only up to about 19 pieces in my
    Adam> book so far. I can't even imagine what's going to happen
    Adam> when I have about 30 pieces, I think it's just going to
    Adam> choke.

I'm having trouble following this discussion of lilypond-book being
slow -- I've just been putting together a 110 page book of Dowland
parts (so about 80 individual 1-2 page "pieces" from lilypond's point
of view), and I was pleasantly surprised at how fast lilypond-book
would recreate all the .ly files.  I'm not saying I didn't go get a
cup of coffee when I had to redo all 80, but I certainly didn't need
to do it overnight or anything. 2.10 is definitely a lot faster than
2.0 was.

    Adam> So out of curiosity one day I checked out including one of
    Adam> my pieces as a pdf in a LaTeX document (which i couldn't get
    Adam> happening in Lilypond-LaTeX but could get happening in
    Adam> LaTeX) and it loaded way way quicker but as you pointed out
    Adam> to me in a previous post, you can only include graphics that
    Adam> are 1 page. thus my question about getting Lilypond to
    Adam> export more than one file for multi-page pieces.

There are utilities that will extract pages from a pdf file.  I've
used pdfnup for that purpose.  Probably even better developed and
tested are the postscript utilities like psselect, although I don't
know whether using those on lilypond's postscript output will produce
something latex can deal with.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139