RE: Decrescendo on last note??

From: Steve Schow
Subject: RE: Decrescendo on last note??
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:30:00 -0700

Ok.  I had already read that section last night.  I just read it again to make
sure.  I am either blind or the answer to my question is not there.

It says in the  manual:

 "A crescendo mark is started with \< and terminated with \! or an absolute
dynamic. A
decrescendo is started with \> and is also terminated with \! or an absolute
dynamic. \cr and
\decr may be used instead of \< and \>."

I am new to Lilypond, so there must be some other detail I do not know about.
But if I have no second note to attach the termination to, how do I do it?