Re: Information on Lilypond

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Information on Lilypond
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:09:36 +0200

2007/7/24, Skippy G. Mardon <address@hidden>:

Hello,

Welcome on the list :)

I am checking out different types of
music notation software.
When I am trying to read about Lilypond,
the language switches from English to
German, and then 2 times it switched from
English to French.

This is weird; can you tell us which browser and operating system you use?
I assume you've already read
http://lilypond.org/web/about/browser-language.html

I've used Finale for 8 years.
It's very complex and hard to use.
What I like to do best, is play a song
on the MIDI keyboard and then have
the notes appear on the screen.
Then I print them.
I am looking for software that will do
this conveniently.

It depends on how you define "and then"...
LilyPond is a non-graphical music notation interface. i.e. you can use
a MIDI keyboard to enter your music, but what you'll see instantly
appear on your screen will *not* be a score like in Finale, but some
code, which you'll have to compile to get a (wonderfully displayed)
score at the end.
LilyPond can be quite simple to use (it took my grandmother a couple
hours to learn; now she uses it frequently), but it might not be
appropriated for someone who's used to graphical interfaces.

Regards,
Valentin