new dynamic sign

From: Siska Ádám
Subject: new dynamic sign
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:14:23 +0200

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to create a new dynamic sign for 'attacco impercettibile' (this can be found for example in scores of some spectralist composers, like Gérard Grisey). This sign is supposed to be something like a striked circle, like the character ɵ or ø character, and it means something like 'zero volume', so if it's at the beginning of a crescendo, you should start playing from absolute stillness, and if it's at the end of a decrescendo, you should make the decrescendo until total still. For this, I tried the following code:

zeroDyn = #(make-dynamic-script "ø")

This works, but the output looks quite awful, it would be better to use some other character font and/or make the character to be smaller. But if I change the "ø" to (for example) "\roman ø", I don't get the desired result. How can I set the font type and/or size used to create the dynamic symbols with make-dynamic-script?

Thank you,
Adam

Siska Ádám
+36 (70) 207-63-85